[vlc-devel] Problem using libvlc

Pierre d'Herbemont pdherbemont at free.fr
Mon May 25 11:08:40 CEST 2009

2009/5/24 Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net>:
> Le samedi 23 mai 2009 23:27:59 Pierre d'Herbemont, vous avez écrit :
>> > (But there is currently a problem bypassing the PL, all playlist parsing
>> > demuxer/access use playlist_t directly :(
>> I am not sure about that, I removed most of the dependency from
>> SD/playlist demuxer. They should be using an input_item_t interface.
>> That allows you to get the media contained in a playlist file with
>> libvlc, or the SD list, without using the playlist.
> Except media_list_player deadlocks either at the end of the first item (in
> trunk) or immediately (in 0.9 and 1.0), so the playlist is the only workable
> option.

Well, you are missing the whole point.

First, You don't actually need a media_list_player to play what's in a

Then, libvlc_playlist doesn't client to actually browse and enumerate
the content of a SD.

So you are once more mixing Data and Control. libvlc_playlist is a
sort of both. media_list is Data, media_list_player is Control. This
concept is a bit more advanced, but it is the way to go if we want to

> Moreover, I don't understand why we need so many files and functions
> for list handling, and why list and media are separate *yet* interdependent
> things.

No, they are not. The only dependancy I have added to media regarding
media_list is the ability to add subitems. That was part of an RFC
that didn't receive many comments.

It's convenient. And it's very surgical. Nothing dramatic, here only
pragmatism. I am not opposed to move that part to a separate file.

I have moved the headers around so that you'll have less pain
identifying the different components.


More information about the vlc-devel mailing list