[vlc-devel] Visibility of 1.0.0-rcX (was: Earth to release engineering)

Felix Paul Kühne fkuehne.videolan at googlemail.com
Mon May 25 21:45:49 CEST 2009

Am 25.05.2009 um 08:22 schrieb Rémi Denis-Courmont:

> On Sun, 24 May 2009 19:06:19 -0400, Andre-John Mas
> <ajmas at sympatico.ca>
> wrote:
>> At the moment I don't feel the release candidates are getting much
>> exposure
>> to the user community, especially the MacOS X version which only
>> appears
>> amongst the nightlies.
>
> With JPSaman having backported the very commits that reportedly
> broke the
> fullscreen mode, OSX is probably not RC2 ready (anymore).

The fullscreen mode works nicely in the latest revision of 1.0-bugfix.
It's other commits that broke this in master (the entire video output
in fact).
Additionally, since my contributions from last week and the last week-
end, a RC2 for OS X will be releasable (at least for the Intel
platform, but I'm working on the PPC part right now). There are 2
known issues left within the OS X interface and that's less than for
the cross-platform parts of Qt4. I certainly know that VLC 1.0 will
only introduce like 3 new features to the OS X interface, but at least
it will work and benefit from the many many core improvements.

> But that raises an underlying question: *who* would handle the bug
> reports
> on OSX timely now? If nobody could even make an RC1 build, then I
> guess
> nobody can fix bugs either. We are increasingly seeing frustrated
> testers
> who feel they are wasting their time since nobody is fixing the bugs
> anyway
> (especially but not only on Windows). It is sad, but if we cannot
> fix bugs,
> then better not to waste testers energy indeed.
However, I must agree that you are right about this. I won't be able
to handle this sufficiently until mid July.

Best regards,

Felix