[vlc-devel] Rethinking the Mac OS X GUI
dominic.spitaler at gmail.com
Wed May 27 13:59:50 CEST 2009
Due to my work on the new VLC document icons, I've licked blood,
and would like to contribute a bit more to the VLC project.
Let me just quickly introduce myself.
My name is Dominic Spitaler, I'm 17 years old and from Austria.
I am a graphic design & multimedia student visiting “die graphische”
During the summer I'd like to rethink and redesign the GUI for VLC
on Mac OS X, as I believe that VLC is technologically probably the
out there, but the user interface trigs me (and a lot of other mac
users) to use it,
and instead switch over to quicktime, which has a (in my believe)
I'm really interested in usability, interaction and user interface
for three years mac user and have a passion for beautiful icons & UI's.
I have some experience in developing Windows applications and am
learning Cocoa, as my main OS has been Mac OS X for three years.
I'd work together with a friend and colleague of mine.
I think some main issues we'll try to fix in VLC will be:
- Redesign & rethink the GUI to be easier to use, to learn and more
- Update the visual appearance
- to fix inconsistencies like different VLC icons all over the UI
- to be visually pleasing
- for 10.5 Leopard (respectively Snow Leopard)
- Make sure, the VLC interface follows the Apple Human Interface
- Maybe change some default settings (f.E a better subtitle font,…)
I hope our work would be appreciated,
More information about the vlc-devel