[vlc-devel] MacOS X and file references

Andre-John Mas ajmas at sympatico.ca
Sat May 30 19:03:56 CEST 2009

Hi,

I noticed a behaviour in VLC, on MacOS X, that doesn't follow the
standard behviour on this platform. Basically if I move a file on disc
that is already in the playlist, but not playing, then double-clicking
the file results and the file not being located. Generally, from my
experience, applications try to maintain a reference to the file so
that if the file is ever moved on the same disk it will still be
locatable. If you use iTunes, for example you will be able to observe
this behaviour, if you move an MP3 file on disk.

 From a bit of research, it turns out with Carbon you can use the
Alias Manager:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Carbon/Reference/Alias_Manager/Reference/reference.html

and in Coca code you can do this:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/CarbonCocoaDoc/Articles/CarbonInCocoa.html#Using%20the%20FSRef%20Data%20Type

the only issue with the approach in the second link, is that it
doesn't seem to be pure Cocoa, so it could be a breakage point in
Leopard if VLC is made to be 64-bit. I will ask around to find out if
there is a Cocoa equivalent of this functionality.

André-John