[vlc-devel] Qt media browser (playlist selector) reorganisation

Jakob Leben jakob.leben at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 22:35:44 CET 2009

> Anyway, the Qt side of implementation is going well, I have the
> aforementioned embedded add/remove buttons working in my repo (for the
> Podcast SD which supports configuration), we just need to think about the
> above dilemmas and inject a little support for this project from plugins'
> side.

Oh, and BTW, I see this as a workaround ( the selector code needs some
complicated "special case" code for every SD to fit them all into the
described design).

I plan to reform (extend, replace) the SD ABI. Instead I have an idea about
a more generic Media Provider ABI, which would offer consistent way across
all media providers for their configuration and allow a consistent
organisation of media locations and their browsing.

As much as I discovered, I think there might be such a thing as a public API
in libvlc. But while that one is dependent on SD ABI, which in turn depends
on playlist ABI, my idea is to replace the former and strip down the latter,
which would also result in a simpler actual (playing) playlist, which would
be implemented just as a flat list of input_item_t (we had much discussion
about that already...). And yes, I think most of the code in
modules/demux/playlist should cease to be under the demux ABI and become a
back-end of the envisioned Media Provider ABI.

Meanwhile, I wanted to point out that my current work is still founded on
playlist and SD ABIs and is only a glue to quickly implement the desired
design of Qt interface for the 1.1.0 release. Yes, I do wish to have it
included in 1.1.0, therefore I'm just thinking practically and currently the
(appearance of) goal achieved is more important than the means. Later, we
will think the other way round.

Cheers!