[vlc-devel] RE : Qt media browser (playlist selector) reorganisation

brezhoneg1 brezhoneg1 at yahoo.fr
Wed Nov 4 23:57:23 CET 2009

Hi,

-----Message d'origine-----
De : vlc-devel-bounces at videolan.org
[mailto:vlc-devel-bounces at videolan.org] De la part de Jakob Leben
Envoyé : mercredi 4 novembre 2009 22:14
À : Mailing list for VLC media player developers
Objet : [vlc-devel] Qt media browser (playlist selector) reorganisation

Problems and questions, remarks:
1. In my opinion Media dirs should be configurable as well. If there is
no configuration saved, then we can use the current logic and just
insert the system dirs for Videos, Pictures and Music. But user should
be able to remove those or add as many arbitrary folders as he whishes.
We could think of making the media dirs SD monitor the changes to those
folders in real time (could the udev plugin provide that?).

 This makes sense. Users should be given the possibility to organise
their media in as many directories and subdirectories as they wish.
System media dirs should only be proposed as an option. It should also
be made straightforward to flag default directories for storing recorded
video, music or snapshots. Those directories should be highlighted in
some way, and reconfigurable directly at the media browser level. And
users should be given the possibility to manage medias (delete, copy,..)
directly from the media browser.

 The only fear I've got is a performance issue for those users who would
like to manage huge directories/subdirectories of media. Some sort of
indexing (database) may then become a requirement.Same goes for
monitoring real-time changes in such a situation.

Erwan10