[vlc-devel] RE : Qt media browser (playlist selector) reorganisation

Jakob Leben jakob.leben at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 00:14:07 CET 2009

Hi, Erwan!

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 11:57 PM, brezhoneg1 <brezhoneg1 at yahoo.fr> wrote:

>  Users should be given the possibility to organise their media in as
> many directories and subdirectories as they wish. System media dirs should
> only be proposed as an option. It should also be made straightforward to
> flag default directories for storing recorded video, music or snapshots.
> Those directories should be highlighted in some way, and reconfigurable
> directly at the media browser level. And users should be given the
> possibility to manage medias (delete, copy,..) directly from the media
> browser.

Since browsing a filesystem is only badly supported by current core playlist
interface, it will suffice for now to just let users define a flat list of
directories they wish to see in the browser. The rest about flagging and
configuring recording dirs is a great idea and I'll try to implement it now.

>   The only fear I've got is a performance issue for those users who would
> like to manage huge directories/subdirectories of media. Some sort of
> indexing (database) may then become a requirement.Same goes for monitoring
> real-time changes in such a situation.

Yes, I've been thinking about that in relation to podcast and shoutcast as
well, they may produce huge lists. But in my experience, VLC and Qt have
been handling those huge lists quite with ease. Indexing may be more of a
feature for later.

Best regards,