[vlc-devel] Qt media browser (playlist selector) reorganisation

Jakob Leben jakob.leben at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 16:18:33 CET 2009

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 3:36 PM, Pierre Ynard <linkfanel at yahoo.fr> wrote:

> How does the Podcast SD work, and what are those add/remove entry
> points?

Podcasts are RSS feeds of video/audio. So we have a Podcast SD module, which
first reads podcast feed URLs saved in the the "podcast-url" config variable
(these are what I called "entry points"), and lists via SD interface input
items with those URLs plus the input item option "demux=podcast".
Then it automatically runs each of the listed input items, which in turn get
demuxed by the Podcast demuxer module, which obtains singular audio/video
URLs through RSS protocol from the RSS feed URL, and adds input items with
those new URLs as sub items of feed items.

As much as I gathered, the principle of (all?) SD modules is to output items
which a corresponding demux/playlist/XXX module will demux to get further
subitems. In my opinion, those two functionalities should be merged into one
coherent ABI, so services discovery browsing should be separate from input
item paradigm.