[vlc-devel] Qt media browser (playlist selector) reorganisation

Jakob Leben jakob.leben at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 04:27:28 CET 2009

On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 8:32 PM, Pierre Ynard <linkfanel at yahoo.fr> wrote:

> Maybe something like Streaming Media. Then External Devices could even
> be Remote Media, as opposed to media on disks or devices directly
> plugged into the computer.

:) I thought we've just agreed to put discs and devices under the same
category.

Now I think that it is even problematic to define what is "remote". Since
Bonjour and UPnP are network protocols, I thought there might be a case
where you fetch quite "remote" data using them, let's say something on the
other side of a big local network, or even the internet? While on the other
hand there is hand-held devices that use those protocols and those you will
usually put right next to your comp when connecting to them. And again,
maybe one day handheld devices will use Podcast feeds as a way to
communicate with their outside world. (well, maybe i'm just getting too
pessimistic here)

I have a proposal: just define categories without associating them to vlc
modules, but let modules themselves put their items under (top) categories.
It might be that the same module fetches through the same protocol something
that can be identified as falling under one or another category. We're still
left with the job of defining categories, but maybe this at least makes it
easier. (Only now we are not talking about Qt anymore but system-wide)

Then again, going into extreme by letting the modules themselves define new
(top) categories is in my opinion just too liberal.

On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 8:32 PM, Pierre Ynard <linkfanel at yahoo.fr> wrote:

> > IMHO I would leave particular SD activation / deactivation and any info
> > regarding that solely buried somewhere in preferences.
>

> Unless they are all always activated by default, I tend to disagree.

I did mean to have them always active. That is, to activate already at
startup all those enabled in preferences (while on the other hand changing
preferences should have immediate effect, for the sake of practicality and
being user-friendly - which I would say is just as well a reason for
activating the preferred ones already at startup).