[vlc-devel] Qt media browser (playlist selector) reorganisation

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Mon Nov 9 12:00:08 CET 2009

On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 10:49:45 +0100, Jakob Leben <jakob.leben at gmail.com>
wrote:
>> I don't think this is wise.
>> VLC has always been low in memory and we shouldn't activate 20 different
>> modules by default.
>>
>> I believe, we should reopen the last state on open and let people
>> deactivate SDs.
>>

>  I am sorry, but couldn't you please response to the last mail in a
> thread?
> That was exactly my suggestion there. Plus, there was another suggestion
> which cuts the starting memory amount per SD module (namely: fetching
> children per node only upon client's request)

Jakob, the point is, more or less each SD plugin creates its own thread,
and allocates its own few file descriptors. Some of them generate
background network traffic, and/or get woken up rather frequently. I know
only two exceptions:
1/ shoutcast does not support live updates.
2/ media dirs does not support inotify, but if it did, it would need a
thread too.

So it's best to not start an SD at all unless it's really needed.