[vlc-devel] Can't Embed VLC in Qt4/wx on OSX with PyQt4/wx and Python Bindings

Barry Wardell barry.wardell at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 23:01:45 CET 2009

> At this point, I am at a total loss for what to do, and hope that someone
> out there knows how to do this. VLC, Python, PyQT/wxPython, and Mac OS X
> seem like the perfect combination of tools, yet getting them to work
> together has been a nightmare for me. I really don’t want to give up on VLC,
> partly because I know no other media application out there can do what I
> need it to. Based on the incomplete threads I’ve seen out there, I’m sure
> others are equally in need for this to work, so let’s see if we can finally
> put this issue to rest, once and for all.

Have you looked at the "LibVLC SampleCode Qt" tutorial on the wiki
(http://wiki.videolan.org/LibVLC_SampleCode_Qt)? It doesn't include
Python but it does give a nice example of embedding VLC into Qt. Last
time I checked, it also worked fine on OSX.

Alternatively, it is possible to get VLC to draw its video into a
QGLWidget and that should work fairly well on all platforms, but that
needs a bit more effort to get things working.

Barry