[vlc-devel] Can't Embed VLC in Qt4/wx on OSX with PyQt4/wx and Python Bindings

Barry Wardell barry.wardell at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 23:29:55 CET 2009

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 11:01 PM, Barry Wardell <barry.wardell at gmail.com> wrote:
> Have you looked at the "LibVLC SampleCode Qt" tutorial on the wiki
> (http://wiki.videolan.org/LibVLC_SampleCode_Qt)? It doesn't include
> Python but it does give a nice example of embedding VLC into Qt. Last
> time I checked, it also worked fine on OSX.

Now that I actually check the forum thread you linked, I see that you
have already looked at the example in the wiki.

> Alternatively, it is possible to get VLC to draw its video into a
> QGLWidget and that should work fairly well on all platforms, but that
> needs a bit more effort to get things working.

Given that the LibVLC method doesn't seem to be working for you, this
might be a good option. For Google Summer of Code this year, I worked
on a cross-platform Qt GUI for VLC
(http://wiki.videolan.org/SoC_2009/Media_Center_Interface_for_VLC). It
works on Linux and OSX, I never tested it with Windows.

The bit that is most relevant for you is the use of a QGLWidget to
provide an OpenGL context for VLC to draw into. Check
modules/gui/qtmc/glvideowidget.cpp

Barry