[vlc-devel] commit: Qt4: remove proto combo from open net tab ( Rémi Denis -Courmont )

Ilkka Ollakka ilkka.ollakka+vlc at oamk.fi
Thu Nov 26 11:05:05 CET 2009

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 10:39:57AM +0100, Marian Ďurkovič wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 09:55:24 +0100, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote
> > Trying to do things differently from every other piece of software is
> > _confusing_. And it's a fact all of them use a single text field. If
> > you implement an auto-completion policy, go ahead. The point is that there
> > should be only one URL field, not three fields.

> OK, if you ultimately want to have just one field, then we should have
> reasonable defaults. That means no '@' for multicast addresses and port
> defaulting to the same value everywhere in the VLC code (1234).

> Then a simple autocompletion could be easily done, prepending just rtp:// or
> udp:// in front of an address, and we're done.

I think this simpler field is better than earlier one.

And for autocompletion, why not just place some helper-text under that
input-field like 'urls are like rtp://@multicast:port for
multicast-streams, rtsp://server-name/stream, http://server-name/file
for youtube and similar' with maybe working addresses (vlc video in
youtube etc) ? That way user would have some example what is expected on
that field, and even whatkinda urls vlc supports.

--
Ilkka Ollakka