[vlc-devel] R??p . : Re: commit: Qt4: fix default port numbers in streaming wizard ( R??mi Denis -Courmont )

jpd at videolan.org jpd at videolan.org
Fri Nov 27 06:01:03 CET 2009

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 07:50:33PM +0100, Marian ??urkovi?? wrote:
> VLC is using 1234 for many years and everyone knows that.

So we document the change. Then everyone knows vlc changed, too.

> > The native RTP receiver already defaults to 5004 in VLC 1.0.
>
> ... and that was effectively overriden in the GUI back to 1234 for
> obvious reasons.

I see no reason not to correct that. Arbitrary defaults are subject to
change, so anyone who chooses to rely on specific port numbers has to
either pick and specify the ports, or run the risk that the default
might change some day. And `1234' clearly is arbitrary.

> Bottom line: this discussion evidently doesn't make sense anymore. You
> already commited yet another change to the bugfix branch which widened
> the interop issue with installed setups even further...

You could argue about bugfix, though OTOH the default override by the
GUI and presumably not through the CLI was equally arguably a bug.
On master it makes no sense to not move to a more sensible default.