[vlc-devel] Rép . : Re: commit: Qt4: fix default port numbers in streaming wizard ( Rémi Denis -Courmont )

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Fri Nov 27 08:54:30 CET 2009

On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 08:21:18 +0100, "Marian Ďurkovič" <md at bts.sk> wrote:
>> VLC has been using 5004 on input by default since 0.9.0, for almost a
>> year and a half.
>
> And none of the GUI users could ever notice that. That's IMHO the vast
> majority, on Win perhaps almost all. Changing this in the bugfix branch
> and creating an interop issues is certainly unwise, just leads to user
> confusion and adds extra work for many people.

Which "vast majority"? The vast majority of our users does not use RTP at
all. The vast majority of RTP users do not enter the address manually. Of
the tiny minority of users that do enter RTP media location by hand, I am
not at all convinced that the "vast majority" uses the Qt4 open network
stream dialog. You will note that the Paste location dialog, and the
command line interface were already defaulting _implicitly_ to 5004,
whereas the open network dialog was defaulting _explicitly_ to 1234.

>> Detecting whether a packet is TS or RTP is easy. But VLC plugins
>> cannot decide dynamically whether to use access or access_demux at the
>> moment, thus it's impossible.
>
> That's just yet another argument to move TSoRTP back to udp access, which
> will make it easily possible.

This is getting ridiculous. Topic closed as far as I am concerned.