[vlc-devel] commit: Qt4: position slider: send seek events at regular intervals ( Jakob Leben )

Jakob Leben jakob.leben at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 00:23:23 CET 2009

2009/11/25 Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net>

> Frankly, I think this is not the right place to "merge" seek requests.
>
> This should be done in the input thread directly.

Frankly, I've given it a try but in the process of implementing it in input
code I realized it is actually better to leave that to interfaces. The
reason is that input does not know if seek request happened because of
clicking on a timeline or dragging a slider or using mouse wheel, though
this shows up to be of importance. Plus "seeking" is spread out throughout
the input code ( "position" variable, "time" variable, setting those via
set-bookmark... ) which makes it hard to determine (= to some extent
arbitrary) where the request delaying should be placed and would also
unavoidably execute the delaying code when completely unnecessary.

I'd leave input to execute requests as fast as possible and let interfaces
hand out requests as they see fit. It's sure a nice idea to solve the
problem once for all, but given the architecture it's quite a complication
and thus doubtfully profitable.

And there is not sooo many interfaces either...

Best regards