[vlc-devel] commit: vout: avoid applying subtitle offset twice and modify behavior when subtitles overlap (Jakob Leben )

Jakob Leben jakob.leben at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 12:36:23 CET 2009

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 12:25 PM, Laurent Aimar <fenrir at via.ecp.fr> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 29, 2009, git version control wrote:
> > Modifies behavior when subtitles overlap: newer subtitles push older ones
> higher
> That's really annoying and I would prefer it to be reverted (it also breaks
> suppositions done by a lot of subtitles files).

What kind of suppositions? It is natural to read dialogs from up to down in
their time order.

There is a problem regarding fixing that glitch at positioning: the code
would need some wild refactoring in order to do that and still keep the
behavior where subtitles keep their position after new ones appear.

_If_ you are willing to abandon the position-keeping behavior, would you
then still prefer newer to appear above older ones and falling down when
older ones disappear? I thought it is also annoying to see new ones fall
down - usually if you don't have time to read everything you rather go read
new ones and then they move in the middle of you reading them.