[vlc-devel] Streaming wizard issues

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Sun Nov 29 16:20:16 CET 2009

	Hello,

I have been looking at the streaming wizard, and I have some questions and
concerns.

* Do we really need the first tab?
* Should the "Stream" button at the bottom not be greyed until at least one
destination has been added?
* Why is "File" the default? Does it even belong in streaming?
* Disabling transcode does not seem to work in 1.0-bugfix. Did we forget to
backport something?
* Shouldn't MMS be expended to a more explicit name?
* It does not make sense to have Audio and video port for RTP, since we're
only offering RTP/TS, does it?
* Should we split RTP into RTP/AVP and RTP/TS?
* Is "UDP" not a bit confusing (RTP is UDP too)? How about "MPEG-TS over UDP"?
* Could we prefill the RTP address to some pseudo-random ASM group?
* Could we enable SAP by default and prefill it to "<user>'s stream" or
whatever?
* If SAP is disabled, could we grey out SAP and SAP group fields?
* Shouldn't SAP and group be greyed out or absent if there are no RTP nor UDP
targets?
* Do we really need to expose sout-keep there? Can't we always enable it for
streaming (not like convert/record)?
* Is "group name" really useful? Isn't it confusing? (Honestly, I first
thought it meant multicast group IP address)

http://www.remlab.net/