[vlc-devel] Streaming wizard issues

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Sun Nov 29 16:27:36 CET 2009

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 05:20:16PM +0200, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote :
> * Do we really need the first tab?
Yes, it will be useful when we can detect the ES from the input, so we
can select them.

> * Should the "Stream" button at the bottom not be greyed until at least one
> destination has been added?
True.

> * Why is "File" the default? Does it even belong in streaming?
No reason. And, yes it does belong here, you might want to duplicate and
save at the same time.

> * Disabling transcode does not seem to work in 1.0-bugfix. Did we forget to
> backport something?
Possibly, I will look at it.

> * Shouldn't MMS be expended to a more explicit name?
True.

> * It does not make sense to have Audio and video port for RTP, since we're
> only offering RTP/TS, does it?
No clue.
> * Should we split RTP into RTP/AVP and RTP/TS?
No clue.
> * Is "UDP" not a bit confusing (RTP is UDP too)? How about "MPEG-TS over UDP"?
No opinion.
> * Could we prefill the RTP address to some pseudo-random ASM group?
we could.

> * Could we enable SAP by default and prefill it to "<user>'s stream" or
> whatever?
Activate something by default? Why ?

> * If SAP is disabled, could we grey out SAP and SAP group fields?
Yes. I'll look at it.
> * Shouldn't SAP and group be greyed out or absent if there are no RTP nor UDP
> targets?
Probably.

> * Do we really need to expose sout-keep there? Can't we always enable it for
> streaming (not like convert/record)?
I think we do need to expose it, but we could activate it by default.

> * Is "group name" really useful? Isn't it confusing? (Honestly, I first
> thought it meant multicast group IP address)
I don't care

Best Regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf