[vlc-devel] Streaming wizard issues

Pierre Ynard linkfanel at yahoo.fr
Mon Nov 30 21:27:14 CET 2009

> At least for native RTP, you will need to convey the SDP in some way.
> Using a file seems totally wrong in the context of the wizard. And
> RTSP follows such a different setup model that it probably should not
> be considered "RTP" (but a different category of its own). Hence you
> are stuck with SAP anyhow.

And SAP propagates poorly across the internet, so you're stuck with
nothing... Also, we're not offering native RTP now.

> Well it definitely is not intended for others. Then again, I would argue
> the "others" are the victims here. They get their SAP playlist cluttered
> with unreachable streams.

Then we don't want to use SAP in those cases. You will notice that this
depends on the presence or absence of other people to bother on the
network, i.e. more generally, on the context (e.g. home network).

> > What about replacing it with a "public/private stream" checkbox?
> > This could handle TTL too, and maybe other options.
>
> No. Multicast privacy is achieved through ciphering, not through low
> TTL.

Call it discretion then. But my idea was also whether the stream is
of "public" interest and intended to be broadcast to the whole internet,
or something "private" just for your friends within your subnet.

Instead of the checkbox we could have a three-choice radio button:

 * "no advertisement, stealth mode" -> SAP disabled

 * "automatic advertisement, home network" -> SAP enabled, filled with
   a "<user>'s stream"-like value, TTL set to 1

 * "serious business, stream this to the whole internet" -> gives access
   to all fields that are hidden/greyed out otherwise, defaults TTL to a
   sane value for responsible users

Then we can hide even more fields in the simple case. It would default
to the first or the second choice; to choose, we could even use
heuristics like "if it's unicast to an address outside the local subnet,
no advertisement" (if it was possible).

How does it sound?

--
Pierre Ynard
"Une âme dans un corps, c'est comme un dessin sur une feuille de papier."