[vlc-devel] Streaming wizard issues

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Mon Nov 30 15:01:01 CET 2009

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 14:00:58 +0100, Pierre Ynard <linkfanel at yahoo.fr>
wrote:
> There is some contradiction between unicast and advertising:
> if the stream is intended to one well-known recipient,

At least for native RTP, you will need to convey the SDP in some way. Using
a file seems totally wrong in the context of the wizard. And RTSP follows
such a different setup model that it probably should not be considered
"RTP" (but a different category of its own). Hence you are stuck with SAP
anyhow.

> maybe it's not intended to others.
> This sounds like a privacy leak to me.

Well it definitely is not intended for others. Then again, I would argue
the "others" are the victims here. They get their SAP playlist cluttered
with unreachable streams. If you want privacy, you shouldn't be using
unencrypted RTP to begin with.

>> I think the SAP checkbox is currently one more pointless
>> click in the way, so to put it.
>
> What about replacing it with a "public/private stream" checkbox?
> This could handle TTL too, and maybe other options.

No. Multicast privacy is achieved through ciphering, not through low TTL.

> Or maybe a more consequent "how do I advertise my stream"
> box/panel/profile ? There could go the group name. What about HTTP
> access restrictions too?

I am trying to _*SIMPLIFY*_ the wizard.

> And for RTP, what about exposing SDP file options and RTSP?

As already said, file is quite helpless in this context. And RTSP would
should be considered as a different streaming target altogether.