[vlc-devel] commit: Increased fifo decoder size to 400mb. (Laurent Aimar )

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Sat Oct 24 22:45:26 CEST 2009

Le samedi 24 octobre 2009 10:17:35 Laurent Aimar, vous avez écrit :
>  This commit does not really change VLC requirement, it just lets VLC play
>  more valid files (provided you have more memory than 50 MB).

Well it does. Previously VLC would not exceed 40 Mb per E/S.

500 Mb (or no limits) is a lot more likely to bring into a thrashing hell and
basically crash than 40 Mb. Regardless of how much physical memory the system
has, and how much is free, 40 Mb is a much more reasonable amount of data put
to the swap than 500 Mb.

>  As there is no really good fixed value, I simply but a very large one
>  (mainly for devs working on the input/decoder).

No. 40 Mb was a good value. Something is seriously wrong if you need to cache
500 Mb of coded data on a single E/S, even at HD resolutions.

http://www.remlab.net/