[vlc-devel] VLC with new decoder

Venu Vemulapally venu.vemulapally at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 03:37:06 CET 2009

Hi All,
   I am trying to integrate my newcodec with the VLC for that I made
following changes but I am unable to decode. Actually I am trying to
playback my new codec's elementary stream but defaultly PS demuxer is
getting selecting after that module_need(.....) with decoder capability it
is comparing FOURCC value of all decoders.

1. I have created a file named *newcodec.c* in the *modules/codec folde*r.
2. Added this newly added codec in the configure.ac
3. run the bootstrap
4. Make && make install

Compiled successfully and from the vlc --list i am able to find the my new
codec module. I have tried the VLC playback with the my newcodec's
elementary stream but in the newcodec.c it is failing at
*if( p_dec->fmt_in.i_codec != VLC_FOURCC('X','Y','Z','V') )
    {

        return VLC_EGENERIC;
    }*

and from my debugging i have observed that ( from modules.c ) it is
comparing with all demux modules( container foramts ) after that with
decoder capability it is selecting the ( comparing the all the codecs FOURCC
) proper decoder module and at this time I am able to enter in to my new
codec's source code but it is failing at the above mentioned code snippet.
Could you please help me how to avoid the above mentioned issue ? where i
need to mention the FOURCC value of the my newcodec to assign to the *
p_dec->fmt_in.i_codec.*

Could any one please suggest me to adding new decoder module for VLC ?

Regards,
Venu