[vlc-devel] core playlist

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Tue Sep 1 09:54:21 CEST 2009

----- Message d'origine -----
> 2009/8/31 Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net>
>
> > Asynchronous results are a plague. Please avoid those.
> >
>
> Do you suggest to let to a SD client to spawn another worker thread if it
> expects that the request will be time-expensive and it needs to do other
> stuff meanwhile?

I would actually expect the core to serialize all requests to a given service. Most services won't be re-entrant anyway, and until all our developers are threading gods, this is much safer and simpler.

Now, in some cases, blocking users would be unacceptable, but I think the core should hide this asynchronicity from the service proper. That does imply that the user/core API is NOT a straight mapping to the core/service API.

--
Rémi