[vlc-devel] im requesting a localization file to be translated into sinhala(Sri Lanka)

Christophe Mutricy xtophe at chewa.net
Tue Sep 1 22:45:39 CEST 2009

On Thu, Aug 27, 09 at 17:57 +0530, vikum at esrilanka.lk wrote:
>         Not long ago i have learned from your site that vlc can be
> translated by a software called poedit.since i'm in my school
> holiday i thought i could give it a try.so i send this e mail
> requesting a localization file to translate vlc player in to my
> language (Sinhala :Sri Lanka).

Back in March Dinuka Perera <bbelekkaya at gmail.com> offered to do the
sinhalese translation but as far as i remember we no longer heard from
it. You should try to contact him and see if he needs help or if he has
started the translation.

If he doesn't answer , you can download the file to translate at
http://people.videolan.org/~xtophe/l10n/si.po

You can use poEdit or loKalize to translate the file.

> and i also have a problem.
> i am going to translate using Unicode font of sinhala.do i need to include
> the font in the return e mail with the translation.

You need to use UTF-8 as encoding. poEdit and the si.po file are
normally defaulting to it. There is no problem with the font. People
wanting to use the sinhala translation need one font supporting the
sinhala alphabet. It most likely comes with their OS/Desktop
environement if it is correctly installed

If you have more question you can ask on this mailing list or on irc on
#videolan on the freenode network

--
Xtophe