[vlc-devel] EPG standard ignorants

jpd at videolan.org jpd at videolan.org
Wed Sep 9 16:32:37 CEST 2009

On Wed, Sep 09, 2009 at 03:04:46PM +0200, Marian ??urkovi?? wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 09, 2009 at 01:35:29PM +0200, jpd at videolan.org wrote:
> > Feel free to drop them a mail asking them to mend their ways. P(change)
> > is low, of course, but not asking guarantees it to be 0. The more people
> > ask, the better chances of change.
>
> Yes, we've suceeded to change some params on our local TV stations when
> they were not compliant with standards. However, I can't request change
> from e.g. CanalSat or Digital+, since these are scrambled services
> most probably restricted to FR and ES territories. In other words,
> IMHO only a French citizen could legally ask CanalSat (or better TF1
> et al) to fix their broadcasts.

Of course you can. ``We have received reports from our users ...''
and whether those users are allowed to use our software on the
presumably legally descrambled streams from those providers is up
to the applicable terms and conditions.

There's nothing preventing anyone from _asking_. Whether the companies
feel obliged to do something about it is not something I care to speculate
about. Personally I'd feel they should fix their standards compliancy
regardless of anything else, but ultimately it's not up to me.

But you're right that asking the party that does the technical part
probably has the best chance of sorting the desired effect.

> SKY/Premiere requires a valid subscriber-ID to post anything to
> their online support form, and they haven't fixed anything during last
> two years:

There's no requirement to use their support form, of course. You could
send a fax to corporate headquarters if you felt like it. See if tpc.int
has coverage, then you could send them a fax by email and for free.