[vlc-devel] Missing ISO6937 support in some OSes

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Fri Sep 11 14:14:29 CEST 2009

On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 14:01:49 +0200, Marian Ďurkovič <md at bts.sk> wrote:
>   it looks like there's no ISO6937 support in libiconv, which is used on
> e.g. FreeBSD and in Win32 contribs :-(( Thus we need to make our own
> function for that.
>
>   I put together a replacement based on Linux glibc code with
> modifications for EPG. Code is attached.
>
>   Now the question - where should this go within VLC tree?

If it were to go in the VLC tree, it would go to the vlc_iconv*()
functions. But since we build our own libiconv on Windows, that looks
rather silly. We should rather fix the contrib.

I couldn't care less if *BSD are incapable of supporting needed charset. If
someone has a problem with *BSD support, file a bug with them. Just be sure
to check vlc_iconv_open() for errors return value.