[vlc-devel] Missing ISO6937 support in some OSes

Marian Ďurkovič md at bts.sk
Fri Sep 11 14:25:26 CEST 2009

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 02:14:29PM +0200, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 14:01:49 +0200, Marian Ďurkovič <md at bts.sk> wrote:
> >   it looks like there's no ISO6937 support in libiconv, which is used on
> > e.g. FreeBSD and in Win32 contribs :-(( Thus we need to make our own
> > function for that.
> >
> >   I put together a replacement based on Linux glibc code with
> > modifications for EPG. Code is attached.
> >
> >   Now the question - where should this go within VLC tree?
>
> If it were to go in the VLC tree, it would go to the vlc_iconv*()
> functions. But since we build our own libiconv on Windows, that looks
> rather silly. We should rather fix the contrib.

Well, the libiconv library is *the* problem. Bruno Haible apparently doesn't
care about ISO6937 and therefore it's missing in the library - even
in the latest 1.13.1 version. FreeBSD uses exactly this library instead of
having iconv within libc like Linux, so it has the same problem.

   With kind regards,

        M.