[vlc-devel] Gui for Mozilla's plugins
a.millet89 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 14:04:36 CEST 2009
We are a group of two students working in computers sciences in Paris.
As some of you may already know, during our first year's internships
we choosed to work on VLC and enhance the Mozilla plugin's GUI.
We would like to add a control GUI to the plugin (play, pause, seek,
...) and we are searching what is the best way to achieve it.
This is an overview of the advantages and disadvantages of each solutions:
- Qt, is very simple to use, extremely portable but the weight of the
dependencies may be high, QtGui + QtCore exceed 10mb.
- GTK+ is slighter than Qt but it is not built with portability in
mind (especially on Windows).
- The GUI can also be made in XUL, the downside in that it won't work
on other browsers that support the NSPlugin API (opera, webkit, ...).
- The fourth solution would be to integrate the GUI into the VLC core
and inject the user interface directly into the VLC vout.
- The last solution would be to use native code. This implies that the
GUI must be developped one time for each platform and is a pain to
What is your opinion on this?
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the vlc-devel