[vlc-devel] commit: Removed useless fb-chroma option. (Laurent Aimar )

Rafaël Carré rafael.carre at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 14:57:40 CEST 2009

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 14:33:27 +0200
Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 13:21:34 +0200, Rafaël Carré
> <rafael.carre at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Do you think it's better to have this special case #ifdef'd for
> > davinci, rather than having the user specify it with a --fb-chroma
> > option ?
>
> I just think it's best to auto-detect the proper settings whenever we
> can. We have orders of magnitude too many configuration knobs already.

True

> Is is so that DaVinci has more than one frame buffer device, all
> outputting to the same screen but with a different input chroma? In
> that case, the selected device would ideally depend on the VLC
> decoder chroma. Also, unless the DSP takes care of it for you, you
> might want to optimize I420/YV12 to YUYV/UYVY chroma conversion,
> although I am not sure if ARMv5 provides much room for any meaningful
> CPU-side optimization.

There is 1 RGB framebuffer for OSD (GUI, controls, text etc ..), and 2
(why 2?) UVYY framebuffer for video.

Since the DSP outputs UYVY there is no need for conversion.

I'm still working on it, I'll send the patches when they are ready:
- DSP (video dec/enc; and perhaps audio if i feel like finding what's
  wrong)
- framebuffer
- resizer (there is a chip for hardware scaling / some chroma
  conversion)

--
Rafaël Carré