[vlc-devel] .hosts is a preference

Rob rob at hobbyistsoftware.com
Thu Aug 26 18:27:58 CEST 2010

Hi Folks,

Brilliant to see the updates coming thick and fast, but it is exacerbating
one painful thing that happens every time there is an update. Namely, the
new version brings with it two new .hosts files in /share/http/.hosts and
/share/lua/http/.hosts

The .hosts file is where the user specifies what computers can talk to the
http interface which seems a lot like a preference.
I know that a lot of users of my remote app find it annoying and confusing
that the http interface needs to be reconfigured with every update.

Is there any chance that these files could be moved to the preference
directories and referenced by symlink?
-Or alternatively that a .hosts file in the preference directory could
override the default in the existing directories?

thanks for your consideration,

Rob