[vlc-devel] .hosts is a preference

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Thu Aug 26 20:05:57 CEST 2010

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 17:27:58 +0100, Rob <rob at hobbyistsoftware.com> wrote:
> The .hosts file is where the user specifies what computers can talk to
the
> http interface which seems a lot like a preference.

It is part of the HTTP interface data file just like the rest. You could
make the exact same argument with any file in the HTTP source directory
that the user would modify. In fact, I assume some of the HTTP "remotes"
add their own files to the source directory, instead of using the built-in
'request.xml'.

> Is there any chance that these files could be moved to the preference
> directories and referenced by symlink?

That's really up to the packagers. I think Debian and Ubuntu already does
exactly that with their VLC package.

http://www.remlab.net
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis