[vlc-devel] .hosts is a preference

Rob rob at hobbyistsoftware.com
Thu Aug 26 22:30:43 CEST 2010

you certainly could argue that other files in the http source directory
are also preferences (and I think it would be a good thing if there was an
option to store them outside the actual application bundle).

Having said that, I think there is a quantitive difference between the
.hosts and other files

just making up numbers, I'd guess something like:

100 people enabling the http interface (this is stored in preferences)
70 people want to access the interface from something other than localhost
(this is lost on every upgrade)
1 person has custom scripts (lost on every upgrade)

my thinking is that when you upgrade VLC, then ideally you shouldn't have
to reconfigure it to work again.

I'd be delighted if there was a solution for all these people - but I
think the 70 people needing to update the .hosts would be the place to
start.

what is the objection to a way for users to keep these customizations
outside the app bundle (in a similar way to the preference file)?

how about a mechanism which looked in /<pref directory>/share/http/ for
the .hosts (and other files), anything in the preference directory
overrides the defaults, but otherwise the existing files within the app
bundle get used?

Rob