[vlc-devel] Flamebait: PulseAudio removal

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sat Dec 4 18:50:35 CET 2010

'Twas brillig, and Rémi Denis-Courmont at 02/12/10 17:48 did gyre and
gimble:

> On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 10:52:34 +0000, Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie>
> wrote:
>> Hmm, right I see. I thought the problems would only present themselves
>> when xlib was actually used (which only happens when the PA connection
>> is established). I guess just pulling in the lib is enough to cause the
>> problems? If so then I fully agree that dlsym tricks would be not be
>> worth the effort here.
>
> No. The problem manifests if XInitThreads() is called for the first time
> (in the process lifetime) while there is one (or more) active Display
> pointers open. But I still would rather not link the VLC PA plugin to
> libX11 anymore.
>
> As far as Phonon VLC is concerned, the bug is still present since my fix
> was reverted without explanations, and GLX exhibits the exact same problem
> has libpulse had.

To be fair there was an explanation in the commit log:

commit fa898f1beef7fae7c58fc1284c50a4cb886ad109
Author: Mark Kretschmann <kretschmann at kde.org>
Date:   Fri Nov 12 07:03:46 2010 +0100

    Revert "Disable usage of Xlib"

    This reverts commit 3b1835d70aa38e4d86bcb9024c365e6b353766e4.

    This revert was recommended by j-b, as the commit broke Phonon-VLC
in many cases.
    (mine didn't work at all).

Although I will grant you that the explanation lacked a technical detail
that it probably deserved.

I'd be interested in seeing if it can be reinstated sensibly so will try
and take a look.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie