[vlc-devel] Flamebait: PulseAudio removal

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Thu Dec 2 18:48:23 CET 2010

On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 10:52:34 +0000, Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie>
wrote:
> Hmm, right I see. I thought the problems would only present themselves
> when xlib was actually used (which only happens when the PA connection
> is established). I guess just pulling in the lib is enough to cause the
> problems? If so then I fully agree that dlsym tricks would be not be
> worth the effort here.

No. The problem manifests if XInitThreads() is called for the first time
(in the process lifetime) while there is one (or more) active Display
pointers open. But I still would rather not link the VLC PA plugin to
libX11 anymore.

As far as Phonon VLC is concerned, the bug is still present since my fix
was reverted without explanations, and GLX exhibits the exact same problem
has libpulse had.

http://www.remlab.net
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis