[vlc-devel] Flamebait: PulseAudio removal

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Sat Dec 4 19:26:02 CET 2010

   Hello,

On Saturday 04 December 2010, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> To be fair there was an explanation in the commit log:

No, there was not.

> commit fa898f1beef7fae7c58fc1284c50a4cb886ad109
> Author: Mark Kretschmann <kretschmann at kde.org>
> Date:   Fri Nov 12 07:03:46 2010 +0100
>
>     Revert "Disable usage of Xlib"
>
>     This reverts commit 3b1835d70aa38e4d86bcb9024c365e6b353766e4.
>
>     This revert was recommended by j-b, as the commit broke Phonon-VLC
> in many cases.
>     (mine didn't work at all).

This does not explain why it would have allegedly "broken" Phonon-VLC. And it
does not explain how it will not reintroduce the problem that the commit did
fix.

Besides, anything that this commit might have "broken" was surely already
broken to begin with.

> Although I will grant you that the explanation lacked a technical detail
> that it probably deserved.

> I'd be interested in seeing if it can be reinstated sensibly so will try
> and take a look.

If that is the quality standard of Phonon development operational mode, I
think I'd rather not care about Phonon at all and pretend it does not exist.

http://www.remlab.net/