[vlc-devel] Flamebait: PulseAudio removal

salsaman salsaman at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 01:35:48 CET 2010

I have implemented PA in LiVES for both playback and recording. I can
add the follwoing points:
1) once I had the client coded correctly, I have not observed any
memory leaks due to pulse.

2) pulse implementation is way easier than jack, because jack
callbacks forbid any kind of file IO which requires use of ring
buffers and extra threading. Pulse actually works better if you do
file IO in the callback because it uses variable sized buckets. If
your callback takes too long in jack, your client can be kicked from
the jack server. Pulse is a lot more forgiving.

3) A lot of the earlier problems with pulse and ALSA/OSS turn out to
be distro problems. More recent versions of ubuntu for example seem to
have pretty much fixed this.

4) I'm not using gstreamer so anything to do with pulse/gst does not
really affect me. If I was running a more pro-audio setup I would be
using jack with real time threading enabled, but pulse is fine for the
average desktop user.

Conclusion - if you can fix pulse support rather than remove it, a lot
more people will be happy.

Salsaman.

http://lives.sourceforge.net
https://www.ohloh.net/accounts/salsaman