[vlc-devel] new RTSP module & support for Amino STBs

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Sun Dec 12 18:06:47 CET 2010

   Hello,

On Sunday 12 December 2010, Sven Petai wrote:
> While I certainly like the idea of RTSP stack unification I also need
> the support for the x-playNow header and the MP2T/H2221/UDP transport
> since I have implemented some free as-is services for a network of about
> 100 000 Amino STBs + a couple of thousand Motorolas on top of VLM.
> Motorolas use the the MP2T/H2221/UDP transport too.
>
> Are you against supporting these two non-std. features in the new module
> in principle or did you just mean it's unsupported until someone is
> willing to do the work?

Until/unless the RTSP stack were untangled from the RTP output, supporting raw
UDP is not possible in a clean fashion. While that might be a good idea, I
believe it would incur a *lot* of work. I am strongly opposed to quick-and-
dirty hacks in the RTP output for raw UDP; it's already complicated and messy
enough like it is now.

However, raw UDP streaming as such is a stupid idea in my opinion. And x-
playNow is completely useless: standard SETUP + PLAY does the same thing.

http://www.remlab.net/