[vlc-devel] add support for https video streaming from websites with untrusted SSL certificates

Francois Cartegnie fcvlcdev at free.fr
Mon Dec 20 21:06:11 CET 2010

Le lundi 20 décembre 2010, vous avez écrit :
> certificates). Getting a trusted certificate from a company providing
> trusted certificates is not an option in my case ...

Hi,

You problem is in commit 7b3eb71e858bfcb3f22d07985f27226306e26ce2
where tls-check-cert has been deprecated and its code removed.
http://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc.git;a=commitdiff;h=7b3eb71e858bfcb3f22d07985f27226306e26ce2

As long as the default behaviour was to check, the code was ok:
Users should be allowed to disable CA verification, as they might be unable to
connect to a badly configured server they have no control of. (1)
Every tls client have an option to skip verifications. Browsers does too.

(1) Not mentioning this would help as a workaround on windows platforms where
tls is currently broken.

Francois