[vlc-devel] [RFC] Slimming LibVLC down

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Mon Feb 1 11:27:08 CET 2010

On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 11:15:43 +0100, Pierre d'Herbemont
<pdherbemont at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I agree that at some time, it could go away. But before that, it should
>> be explicitly marked as Deprecated, and even before that, a stable
>> alternative should exist, which LibVLC is not yet IMHO.
>
> Agreed as well. mediacontrol removal shouldn't be done in a hurry.

I completely disagree here.

If we marked them as obsolete, we'd still have to carry them until the next
binary break. We can add a new function and preserve compatibility. But we
cannot remove or modify the prototype of an old function. I certainly hope
that LibVLC 1.2 and some later versions will be binary compatible with 1.1.
As such marking a whole class of functions as deprecated from 1.1 would
seem like a bad idea.

That's why I removed media list views rather than mark them as obsoleted.
On top of that, I don't want to have to maintain deprecated and unused
functions (media list views).

> Remi, you forgot to mark API as deprecated before removing them.

No. That's done on purpose.

http://www.remlab.net
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis