[vlc-devel] [RFC] Slimming LibVLC down

Pierre d'Herbemont pdherbemont at free.fr
Mon Feb 1 14:34:37 CET 2010

2010/2/1 Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net>:

> On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 11:15:43 +0100, Pierre d'Herbemont
> <pdherbemont at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I agree that at some time, it could go away. But before that, it should
>>> be explicitly marked as Deprecated, and even before that, a stable
>>> alternative should exist, which LibVLC is not yet IMHO.
>>
>> Agreed as well. mediacontrol removal shouldn't be done in a hurry.
>
> I completely disagree here.
>
> If we marked them as obsolete, we'd still have to carry them until the next
> binary break. We can add a new function and preserve compatibility. But we
> cannot remove or modify the prototype of an old function. I certainly hope
> that LibVLC 1.2 and some later versions will be binary compatible with 1.1.
> As such marking a whole class of functions as deprecated from 1.1 would
> seem like a bad idea.

Well, depending how you link, if you don't use deprecated function you are safe.

> That's why I removed media list views rather than mark them as obsoleted.
> On top of that, I don't want to have to maintain deprecated and unused
> functions (media list views).

I am ok with this, as said.

>> Remi, you forgot to mark API as deprecated before removing them.
>
> No. That's done on purpose.

I think it's bad practice when maintain an API. But I don't completely
disagree with doing it, and you know that I am usually the lazy one...
But I usually think we should still have a strict rule in the future
if we want to have a stable API. Yes, this is some overhead, but this
is not libvlccore.

It's done it's done, and the exception stuff did break a lot of stuff
without warning as well. So I guess, it's no big deal :)

Pierre.