[vlc-devel] Plugin development - add access module without (re-)compiling the whole VLC

Christophe Mutricy xtophe at chewa.net
Tue Feb 2 23:01:43 CET 2010

On Tue, Feb 02, 10 at 18:59 +0100, Mario Hock wrote:
> I would like to run my module on machines where I don't have root privileges. (Linux by the way.)

He's the sysadmin such a bad personn that he can't install some libs ?

> The problem is, it's very hard to get all build dependencies without root access on these machines and I hoped that:
> a) there's a way to compile VLC static linked and just copy the binary to the other machines.

You can if you build all the depedencies you need as PIC-enabled static
libs you'll be able to build a static vlc and some static modules

> or b) add the module to an already installed VLC. (I tried to just copy the libs in the "libs" folder but this didn't work out.)

http://wiki.videolan.org/OutOfTreeCompile  might be of some interrest
The module will need to be installed with the other vlc modules. So
it won't help if it's a place controled by root

--
Xtophe