[vlc-devel] Plugin development - add access module without (re-)compiling the whole VLC

jpd at videolan.org jpd at videolan.org
Wed Feb 3 15:43:58 CET 2010

On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 11:01:43PM +0100, Christophe Mutricy wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 02, 10 at 18:59 +0100, Mario Hock wrote:
> > I would like to run my module on machines where I don't have root
> > privileges. (Linux by the way.)
>
> He's the sysadmin such a bad personn that he can't install some libs ?

Even if the local sysadmin was The Buddha Himself and The God Of System
Administration rolled into one person there still might be very valid
and practical reasons why he might not want to do any such thing.

Not least of which would be our dear student here hasn't asked.

So I'll thank you to check your assumptions before you start to dis
people not part of the discussion. That really wasn't called for.

As for running a custom-built VLC, well, as already mentioned there
are the contribs and VLC's module path, and what Mario here probably
needs is to read the manpage for ld.so and in particular take note of
LD_LIBRARY_PATH.