[vlc-devel] 1.1.0 audio track description support on WebPlugin

David Glaude david.glaude at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 23:31:53 CET 2010

Hello,

I have a few question about the following wiki page and it's implementation:
http://wiki.videolan.org/Documentation:WebPlugin

Apparently since 0.8.6, VLC plugin support audio.track selection with an
integer.
But 1.1.0 is suppose to add support for enumeration of the audio track
"description":
*vlc.audio.description(int i)*: (supported in vlc version >= 1.1.0) give the
i-th audio track name. 0 corresponds to disable and 1 to the first audio
track.

1) To me, value 0 to say "disable" has no meaning at all... If the track
count start at track 1 then asking the description of track 0 is meaningless
or should be given some other use. [ I think the same comment is valid for
subtitle (even if I care less about it):* vlc.subtitle.description(int i)*:
(supported in vlc version >= 1.1.0) give the i-th subtitle name. 0
correspond to disable and 1 to the first subtitle.]

2) What kind of string we can expect from the description of an audio track?
To me it should be the language and it should be in some standard format...
but it is not clear if you should transparently pass the value found in the
media file or if it should be further standardized to be format independant.
There as been already some discussion on this list about ISO 639-2 and -3. I
just need to know what to expect in this string.

3) While VLC does display the right language for MP4, it does not display
any language value for WMV file audio track... (at least not up to VLC
1.0.5) and I am a bit afraid that it will be the same for the plugin in
1.1.0 and that will render the language selection useless for WMV. Can you
guide me to the place in the code where you do the parsing of ASF format. I
can provide you with MMMF (Massively Multi-language Media File) in both
MP4/3GPPV6 and ASF format.

4) Is there a way to test this particular feature (nightly build?) to do
better bug report or give my feedback on the language description issue?

5) Do you have sample html + javascript pages that make use of this new
feature?

David Glaude