[vlc-devel] 1.1.0 audio track description support on WebPlugin

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Wed Feb 10 08:51:26 CET 2010

On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 23:31:53 +0100, David Glaude <david.glaude at gmail.com>
wrote:
> 1) To me, value 0 to say "disable" has no meaning at all... If the track
> count start at track 1 then asking the description of track 0 is
> meaningless or should be given some other use. [ I think the same comment
> is valid for subtitle (even if I care less about it):
> * vlc.subtitle.description(int> i)*:
> (supported in vlc version >= 1.1.0) give the i-th subtitle name. 0
> correspond to disable and 1 to the first subtitle.]

There needs to be a value to not select any track though. Whether it is 0
or -1 is a matter of convention, but we need the value. Keep in mind it's
not just about getting the description (where it is indeed useless).

> 2) What kind of string we can expect from the description of an audio
> track? To me it should be the language and it should be in some
> standard format...

That depends on the input. Some file formats provide their own plain text
subtitle description.

> but it is not clear if you should transparently pass the value found
> in the media file or if it should be further standardized to be format
> independant.
> There as been already some discussion on this list about ISO 639-2 and
-3.
> I just need to know what to expect in this string.

Many formats don't specify the language, or not in a normalized fashion
anyway. There is not much we can do.

http://nightlies.videolan.org

http://www.remlab.net
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis