[vlc-devel] [Patch] Moving some libvlc objects to vlc_objects

Hugo Beauzee-Luyssen beauze.h at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 23:46:52 CET 2010

On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 3:37 PM, Pierre d'Herbemont
<pdherbemont at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Hugo,

Hi Pierre,

> On Feb 6, 2010, at 14:11, Hugo Beauzee-Luyssen <beauze.h at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Recent libvlc_media_player modification broke something.
>> If i'm not mistaking, two refcounters were used : one in the
>> libvlc_internal instance, which is a vlc_object AFAIK, and one on the
>> libvlc_instance_t.
>> Obiously, having two refcounter for the same thing is a problem.
>
> What kind of issue do you have? To me the vlc_object_t counter is only
> retaining the variable associated references. It should also add a reference
> count to the malloc of the libvlc object, but that's all.

While releasing VLC media player, which was a vlc object, the libvlc
instance was released, thus causing a crash when releasing the media
player event manager.
Though Rémi was right, it was a messed up releasing that was
responsible. Though it only appears when vlc media player were made
vlc_objects.
Anyway, as Rémi mentionned, the crash has been fixed in
55ba176369bb8ea71c2d7a19f26c77dabcd9dffc. Thanks BTW

>> Moving to vlc objects for everything in the libvlc seems to do the
>> trick.
>
> Libvlc_event_manager better be light, given it's used everywhere. I am
> wondering what kind of issue you have with it.
>
> Pierre.

Hugo Beauzée-Luyssen