[vlc-devel] [Patch] Moving some libvlc objects to vlc_objects

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Sat Feb 6 18:05:08 CET 2010

Le samedi 6 février 2010 16:37:43 Pierre d'Herbemont, vous avez écrit :
> What kind of issue do you have? To me the vlc_object_t counter is only
> retaining the variable associated references. It should also add a
> reference count to the malloc of the libvlc object, but that's all.

A VLC object is needed to:
 - hold variables - as you mention, and
 - instantiate plugins.

In the dreadful old pre-0.9 times, objects were also needed to instantiate
threads (*shivers*).

> > Moving to vlc objects for everything in the libvlc seems to do the
> > trick.
>
> Libvlc_event_manager better be light, given it's used everywhere. I am
> wondering what kind of issue you have with it.

I have to agree. I really don't see any need for the event manager to be a
fully-fledged VLC object.

Anyway, the crash should be fixed.

http://www.remlab.net/
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis