[vlc-devel] [OT] Thoughts on the meeting date

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Sun Jan 10 23:57:06 CET 2010

Hello,

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 10:54:29PM +0100, David Glaude wrote :
> The most important issue for me is advance notice to do the admin work if I
> want to come.
Look at the VideoLAN RSS feed.

> I just wonder:
> * Why on a week-end
Because it takes requires less to take holidays from work.

> * Why free (you could introduce an optionnal non free tutorial or such)
Who would pay?
And who would organize those kind of things?

I have spent a *lot* of time to organise the VDD '09 and I hope that
people have liked it (though not sure since only 2 people said it was cool)

Doing a paid event is an order of magnitude above that in term of
organisation.

> Am I wrong in believing that at least some of the VLC member will be present
> at the Fosdem 10th edition?
> http://www.fosdem.org/2010/stands
We will be there to rock your FOSDEM.

> Maybe those comming on friday will also be there:
> http://www.fosdem.org/2010/beerevent
Sure.

> However I don't see a trace of Videoland stuff in the presentation and/or
> lightning Talks...
> Do you have a developper room reserved for you (in addition to the stand)?
No developer room, no talk.

> It would be nice to know what to expect (who is comming? to do what? ...).
:)

> Le 10 janvier 2010 20:26, Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net> a écrit :
>
> >        Hello,
> >
> > The second VideoLAN meeting ended three weeks ago, so this topic may be a
> > bit
> > premature, but I'd rather raise it while it's still somewhat fresh.
> >
> > Traditionally, as in twice, the meeting has been held in Paris the week-end
> > before Christmas. As we have unfortunately seen, the weather can disturb
> > travel arrangements. There are always risks, but I believe the winter
> > season
> > is most prone to that sort of issues. To make things worse, the week-end
> > before Christmas sees higher traffic as people go on holydays.
> >
> > Also, the number of people who'd come to France around Chrismas time is
> > perhaps not that high anymore (wasn't it just xtophe and me?) - assuming it
> > goes on being held in Paris.
> >
> > Last, this year and the next one, Christmas, and the following New Year's
> > day,
> > occur on a week-end days. For employees, this is doubly inconvenient.
> > First,
> > it implies fewer paid holydays. Second, more holydays would need to be
> > spent
> > for those who'd stay away from the VDD up to Christmas.
> >
> > So all in all, I would suggest that the next meeting, should there be one,
> > be
> > held earlier.
> >
> > --
> > Rémi Denis-Courmont