[vlc-devel] [OT] Thoughts on the meeting date

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Mon Jan 11 09:11:30 CET 2010

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 22:54:29 +0100, David Glaude <david.glaude at gmail.com>
wrote:
> The date is not important to me...
> The most important issue for me is advance notice to do the admin work if
> I want to come.
>
> I just wonder:
> * Why on a week-end

That would work if people were (mostly) professionals. But they are mostly
amateurs. Thus students may not be able to come during business days, while
employees would need to take extra vacation.

> * Why free (you could introduce an optionnal non free tutorial or such)

Same problem. With professionals, you can put a meeting fee. With amateurs,
you can't. So we're dependent on sponsors for the meeting venue, for the
hotel and travel arrangements.

Considering we spend hours of our free time on the project, I would find it
outrageous to have to pay to attend the meeting.

http://www.remlab.net
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis