[vlc-devel] Solaris configuration scripts fixes

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Mon Jan 18 14:53:00 CET 2010

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 14:23:48 +0100, Francois Cartegnie <fcartegnie at free.fr>
wrote:
>> Then, as far as VLC is concerned, there is a bug. We should prefix the
>> script invocation with 'sh '.
>
> Script invocation is already done as "/bin/othershell bootstrap". As the
> shell
> headers overrides the current shell when not prefixed, it does not
> propagate
> to subshells.
> You can test yourself. Move /bin/sh to somewhere else: you won't get past
> half
> of bootstrap due to /bin/sh hardcoding.
> Autoconf has defined CONFIG_SHELL to get around those problems.
> Vlc-config.in.in template has an hardcoded /bin/sh instead of the
autoconf

I guess we could use @SHELL@ in vlc-config.in.in, and pass compile through
config.status.

But I still don't get what you're trying to do with modules/genmf (which
cannot depend on autoconf). I agree that just calling 'modules/genmf'
directly sucks. But as far as I understand POSIX, calling 'sh
modules/genmf' MUST work. I see to reason to rely on a non-standard
$(SHELL) variable. For all I know, $(SHELL) may well point to a non-POSIX
shell too.

http://www.remlab.net
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis